Denver Wrongful Death Attorneys
Suffering the death of a loved one is difficult in any circumstances. When it is due to the negligence of another person, a product or company, it can be devastating. There are laws in place to make sure that close family members can seek compensation in the event of wrongful deaths. These laws vary somewhat state by state. If you have experienced the death of a loved one and believe it is due to the actions of another, you will want to quickly seek legal representation from wrongful death attorneys with the experience and focus to see your case through. The wrongful death attorneys at Boesen Law, LLC have the experience, drive, and compassion to guide you through the process and help ensure you receive closure and the financial compensation to which you and your family are entitled.
What is “Wrongful Death”?
Wrongful deaths are deaths that occur do to the negligence of others. In these cases, civil action may be filed in the form of a lawsuit to seek financial damages from the responsible party or parties. Wrongful death situations are like personal injury accidents where a death occurs. They require certain legal skills and nuances to see to a successful conclusion.
Who May File a Denver Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Colorado has very specific rules in regards to who may file a wrongful death suit and when it needs to be filed. Within the first year following a wrongful death, legal action may only be filed by a spouse. During the second year, children of the victim may file a wrongful death lawsuit. If there is no surviving spouse, the children or parents may file wrongful death actions immediately following the incident.
In any case there is a two year statute of limitations in Colorado for a wrongful death lawsuit to be filed. This is part of the reason it is important to take action quickly following a wrongful death situation.
What are some Wrongful Deaths Situations?
Wrongful deaths occur in a variety of situations. Here are just a few:
- Negligent Medical Care – Wrongful deaths have occurred in medical situations ranging from simple emergency room procedures to childbirth. Medical facilities and their employees are charged with providing knowledgeable care of patience and when negligence results in death, it is grounds for legal action on behalf of the family.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – When negligence can be proven in the case of an auto accident that results in a death, a wrongful death suit is a proper path to follow. In many cases trucking accidents can be the source of a wrongful death suit.
- Product Defects – Deaths may occur because a product was not sufficiently researched for safety or not properly made. This may include anything from tires to electrical appliances. When a death occurs due to a design or manufacturing flaw of a product, legal action would be appropriate.
What Expenses Should be included in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Ultimately a judge or jury will decide the amount awarded in a wrongful death case in Colorado. The following factors will be considered in determining the amount.
- Potential earnings lost by the deceased.
- Employment benefits lost to the family due to the death.
- Medical expenses leading up to the death of the loved one.
- Final expenses associated with the death.
- Loss of companionship
In cases of extreme negligence, punitive damages may also be awarded.
Why Choose Boesen Law as Your Denver Wrongful Death Attorneys
Wrongful death lawsuits can be emotionally challenging. A successful conclusion however, can provide some closure. You want representation from experienced attorneys who understand the significance of your particular situation. Denver’s Boesen Law, LLC is that firm. Boesen Law’s team of nine attorneys and legal staff has experience in a variety of situations where wrongful death suits were successfully filed. Let us sit down with you and discuss your situation. You are assured that your case will be handled with the respect and dignity it deserves.
Don’t delay. The time limit for you to take action is ticking away. If you are faced with a wrongful death situation, we invite you to contact us at Boesen Law at (303) 835-9342, or fill out the form on our website and we will respond promptly.